Arc Flash Assessment
What is an Arc Flash?
As defined by OSHA an Arc Flash is a “phenomenon where a flashover of electric current leaves its intended path and travels through the air from one conductor to another, or to the ground. The results are often violent and when a human is in close proximity to the arc flash, serious injury and even death may occur.
Simply put, an Arc Flash is a powerful electrical explosion with potentially deadly consequences. Arc Flashes can produce temperatures on excess on 35,000° Fahrenheit, almost four times the temperature of the sun’s surface
The ramifications from an Arc Flash are numerous, here is some of the data illustrating the severity of Arc Flash Incidents:
- Over 2,000 workers are treated annually for arc flash injuries
- Arc flash incidents cost companies millions in medical bills, downtime, and litigation
- 80% of electrical injuries are caused by Arc Flash events vs. electrocutions
- Arc Flash explosions can vaporize copper conductors and will expand them to 67,000 times their original volume
How Life Safety Services® will help with Arc Flash Compliance:
- Data Collection: We will visit each location in your facility that could provide a thermal energy incident and collect data to allow LSS to develop your customized plan.
- Incident Energy Calculations: Incident Energy tells you the levels or risk in your electrical panels (NFPA 70E requirement).
- Coordination Study & Mitigation: Reduce risk by lowering the incident energy and Hazard Risk Category. This lowers the PPE requirements.
- Arc Flash Field Labeling: In compliance with OSHA & NFPA 70E, Field Labels will be installed that include incident energy calculations.
- Arc Flash & Electrical Safety Training: Learn how to work safely in your facility’s electrical environment.